Week 16: Animation & Feminism

In this week’s CTS, we watched a few short films related to feminism. Many of them are mixed media, some are even containing live action, showing how diversity can be applied to animated films.

Le clitoris

One of my favourite films is Le Clitoris, which is full of sexuality, but seems to be much adorable and interesting with the pinky cartoon character. It’s also very informative as the film has given emphasis to something that males may ignore. Although in this short animation, there is only pink, white and black, the story is very simple and successful.

Another film called What is Beauty has also interested me. It expresses the evolution of the female body in an extremely smooth and sequential way. The figure keeps changing and re-shaping, using exaggeration to attract audience’s attention. The shape is stretching and squeezing, forming a series of different concept of beauty. And in the end, it leaves the question to the audience. What is beauty? It’s absolutely something would cause one to think deeply about.

Overall, I think the film we watched are all very meaningful and inspiring. The application of hand craft and collarge in Kelly Gallagher’s work is also interesting for us to see.